Monday, 14 October 2013

WORLD FOOD DAY









On Wednesday 16th October we will be celebrating World Food Day.  The day is about recognising the worldwide problem of hunger.   And this year the theme for the day is “Sustainable Food Systems for Food Security and Nutrition”.   The theme has been chosen to highlight and raise awareness of the problems worldwide and the solutions to food security and ridding the world of hunger.
However, it is not just about donating food to the world's hungry and undernourished peoples.   It is about doing something to help them help themselves.   If I was hungry and someone gave me a plough to farm my land I would be far more grateful than if they gave me a sack of potatoes.   If I had a plough I could be self-sufficient and produce my own food.  That is what the day is trying to encourage.
With an estimated 1.02 billion malnourished people across the globe it is a pretty serious matter and worth the public and private investment that is being sought out.   So that's why it is important to raise awareness via World Food Day.
To honour this important day we are asking that each child in Key Stage 2 (Years 3 - 6) make their own food hat.  Be as creative as possible, use a range of materials and include a variety of different foods.  We ask that the children wear these hats to school on Wednesday 16th October.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me.
Diolch Yn Fawr!

No comments:

Post a Comment